Sunday, October 23, 2005

"I Was a Kaleidoscope" Death Cab for Cutie

I was reading through some of my finished chapters.

The person in these stories is not the same person who wrote about him is not the not same person I am now. The guy who capped the cost of accommodations at $25 is not the guy who lived off his Citibank Mastercard for months is not guy who struggles to save 5% of his salary for his Roth IRA.

There are moments that sneak up on me when elements from these incarnations are misfiled and I'm thrown off for a few seconds. I looked up last week at the sky. I was waiting for the train to Union Station. It was dark and I knew I was really crossing the Bolivian border at 4 in the morning.

I like my lives. I like this one that I have now. But my lives are not like some mother's children. I can choose which one I love most. And it isn't the one I have now.

No comments: